Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Right now, you are upstairs watching Toy Story in your room. It is a very special treat to set up the portable DVD player in your room. Not just for you, but for me. Ben is asleep in his swing, making all kinds of noises. Taking advantage of this rare time, I am here to write to you. One day this page will change to accommodate you and Ben, but for now I'm just writing to you.

I had a bunch to say here today.

But as I typed it all out, I realized that you don't need all of the details.

Actually, you probably don't need to hear any of it right now. But unless I write it here, I'll forget to tell you one day.

All I want you to know is that at one point, I could only see good or bad. I thought it impossible for them to be present at the same time. I operated hot or cold, black or white, happy or sad. Never in between. Thanks be to God, and to you, I now understand that they do exist simultaneously...all the time. We are called to meditate on the lovely (Phillippians 4:8). I have learned to ask the Lord for a clear path to exit the unforgiving battlefield that sits atop my neck and see outside of the moment when it is rocky, and remain in the moment when it is lovely. And there is so much lovely.

What I am finding is that instead of questioning the now or future, there is rest in simply moving forward. I don't have to have all the answers right now, sometimes not even one answer. But eventually, the purpose will be revealed. All I have to do is show you and your brother how to love, serve, and be obedient in the day-to-day. This might come with resistance from others, maybe even those closest to us. I might make mistakes along the way (hopefully you won't remember them). But that is OK. Because that is how God speaks to us and grows us...in the ugly-beautiful of the day to day. As long as you are following His voice, that is all that matters.

I love you.

And now, some totally unrelated pictures from the weekend...because again, Iwant to remember.

No comments: