One of my favorite things to do with my photos is layer them with other photos. Sometimes the layers add a depth and artistic element to an otherwise uninteresting photo. Other times, it can take away from the simplistic beauty of what was originally captured. The only way to decide if a layer works is to try them on, take them off, try them on, take them off...until I find a combination that works.That is, until I've found what works for me. Because what works for me may not work for you.
And this is my problem. I haven't embraced this statement as the truth. I hide things (not just photos or paintings) because I feel that if it doesn't work for you, then it doesn't work. If you're not pleased, then I've failed. If I don't get a sense of approval, then I suck. Whether it be mothering, photography, painting, faith, running, fashion, cooking, opinions, my relationships, etc. there is always a little voice telling me "You're not good enough so quit trying."
The voice is in all of us. She/He goes by many names (Satan, The Enemy, Gremlin, Saboteur) but only has one mission: To keep us still. She/He knows our weaknesses and tells us lies to keep us prisoner in our comfortable spot in order to prevent us from moving forward. The lies keep building, one of top of the other, until there are so many layers of lies we can't tell lies from truth anymore. It is in this place that we sit, amongst our lies, afraid to move.
I'm starting to learn how to peel back the layers and discern what is truth and what is a lie. Some of the layers I put back on and others I remove for good. I'll keep doing this over and over again, probably for the rest of my life, until I find what works for me. The finished product will be one layered only in truth.
It is in a place of truth that you will find me from now on. Not that I have been lying, but I've certainly been hiding. Sugarcoating. Beating around the bush. Whatever you want to call it that has kept me safe and comfortable and unjudged. It is time to move forward.
And there it is...the first layer removed.
"Rather, we have renounced secret and shameful ways; we do not use deception, nor do we distort the word of God. On the contrary, by setting forth the truth plainly we commend ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God." -2Corinthians 4:2
2 comments:
Oooh...i love it :)
This is so true! Life to me is all about learning to be our genuine self, or who God intends us to be. I fell that as long as we are always striving to reach that potential, even thought it may look like to others that we are making baby steps, then we are pleasing Him who created all and knows all. Keep up the great work!
Post a Comment